Saturday, December 03, 2005

Santa's Art Shop

We had to get up early this morning. OK, not exactly early, but earlier than I like to on a Saturday. Santa's Art Shop opened at 9:00 AM this morning, and my dear wife insists that we are on line waiting to get in when they open the gates at 9:00.

Santa's Art Shop is a huge Christmas themed Arts and Crafts Show. I think this year is the 28th year for this mega crafts festival. It runs for two days, this year it is Dec 3rd and 4th. Admission is only a dollar for people over 12. Once inside the fairgrounds you will find three buidings full of arts and crafts vendors, plus the sidewalk area between the buildings. I have heard that they average over 200 exhibitors each year. Every year we find vendors who have come from as far away as Salt Lake City, Southern Oregon, or Nevada. Apparently we are one of the regular stops on the holiday craft tour that a lot of these vendors make every year.

I know that it takes us anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to wander through the place and that is if we don't stop and talk to anyone.

My dear wife's tradition is to dress the whole family up in Christmas sweatshirts or sweaters and Santa Claus hats. Well, the whole family except for me. I refuse to dress up. My standard outfit is blue jeans, a flannel shirt and my Christmas hat.

My Christmas hat is a baseball cap that is built like a santa claus hat, or is it a santa claus hat with a baseball cap brim on it? Either way, it's a pointed red hat with a white pompom and a green brim. Embroidered on the front, in gold, are the words "Bah Humbug."

I got this hat several years ago at an after Christmas sale at Kmart. In the 15 or so years that we have been going to Santa's Art Shop I could have sold that hat twenty or more times. Usually to some guy who is tagging along after his wife with his arms full of stuff, or to many of the vendors husbands. But I don't sell.

We had a pretty good day today. We didn't get more than four booths into the first building and my dear wife was already sending me out to the car with my arms full. She bought a really cute stuffed Father Christmas that was seated on a wooden chair.

My oldest daughter bought some Christmas presents for a few of her friends. I picked up a couple joke gift ideas for the next couple Christmases.

As a family we always look forward to Santa's Art Shop each year. We get good decorating ideas, some good gift ideas, and always find some new deoorations for the house.

No comments: