Thursday, July 05, 2007

R.I.P. Fred Saberhagen

I'm still trying to catch up with what has gone on in the world this last week. I just saw that Fred Saberhagen passed away last week.

Mr. Saberhagen was one of my favorite Sci-fi authors. His Beserker Series was some of the earliest hard Sci-Fi that I read. In later years I discovered his Dracula Series. I first noticed The Dracula Tape in the college book store when during a period where I couldn't buy new books. I could not afford them. If it didn't come from a used book store or the library I couldn't afford it. Then my Godmother, bless her soul, sent me a birthday card with three dollars in it. I spent that three dollars on that brand new paperback book. The story was a retelling of Bram Stoker's Dracula but told from the point of view of Count Dracula. I was immediately hooked on the series.

In 1998 Fred started publishing his Books of the Gods. I truly regret that I will never know how Fred intended to end the story he started in his last book in this series, Gods of Fire and Thunder.

I never met Fred Saberhagen, but I have spent hundreds of hours with his books. He was a favorite part of my life that I will truly miss. I guess I will have to start re-reading all his books now.

No comments: