Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Automaker Bailout

Our lovely spend till your ears bleed congress is nearing a deal with the Detroit Automakers. I don't know why this bailout pisses me off more than all the other bank bailouts Congress has been dealing out. But it does.

I have always owned American made cars, mostly Chrysler products. I started my driving life with a used '51 Oldsmobile. From there I worked my way through a used '67 Plymouth Fury III, a new '82 Dodge Challenger, a used '84 Chevy Impala, a new '87 Dodge Ram 50 pickup (which is waiting for my daughter to start driving), a new '97 Dodge Grand Caravan that my wife drives and I just got a new '07 Dodge Magnum.

I don't know what it is about Dodges that I like. It may be genetic, I have an old picture of my Great Grandfather sitting in his '20s era Dodge truck.

Eventually my family will have to replace the Van and the pickup. But this whole automaker bailout has me so pissed off - first at the incompetent managers in Detroit that would allow their companies to get into this position in the first place, secondly that they would reduce themselves to groveling before congress asking America to bail them out of their stupidity. Third at Congress for their blatant attempts to use this opportunity to Nationalize the Detroit auto industry.

So what can I do about this? Not much except rant and rave here for a while and this: I have bought my last Chrysler, Ford or Chevy vehicle. Detroit can go to hell for all I care. When we need to start replacing our vehicles we will replace them with a Honda or a Toyota.

No comments: