Saturday, September 09, 2006

Virginia 13 - Wyoming 12

The University of Wyoming Cowboys traveled to Virginia to play a football game against the University of Virginia. This is the first time that the Wyoming Cowboys have ever traveled to Virginia.

I wasn’t able to watch the game since it wasn’t broadcast. So I had to follow the game with and internet game tracker.

In the end Virginia won the game in overtime 13-12. Wyoming pretty much outplayed Virginia in all categories. However the two categories that really stood out in this game were turnovers inside the red zone and missed extra points. In the first quarter after driving downfield Wyoming quarterback Jacob Doss threw an interception on the UVA four yard line that was run back to the UVA 33 yard line. Then in the 3rd quarter Wyoming Running back Wynel Sheldon fumbled away the ball on the UVA 1 yard line and Virginia recovered it in the end zone for a touchback.

Finally in overtime Wyoming was down 13-6 and had a 4th and 2 on the UVA 3 yard line. They scored the touchdown but missed the extra point that would have sent the game into a second overtime.

I’ve been watching Wyoming football since I was a freshman there in the fall of 1976. If I had to sum up the last 30 years as a Wyoming football fan I would have to say that I am really tired of watching my team beat themselves. Sure they occasionally get outplayed by a better football team. But more often than not the Wyoming Cowboys don’t lose football games – they beat themselves.

No comments: