Friday, June 29, 2007

Off To State Bowling

I haven't had much time to do any writing this week. I have been putting in a lot of overtime at work. I've been leaving the house just before seven each morning. Then getting home again around 7PM Often with just enough time for my oldest daughter to hop into the truck so I could take her to her evening volleyball camp.

The volleyball camp ran from 7:15 to 9:45 each night this week. I probably could have just dropped her off, but the coach of the camp had 21 girls spread across two courts and he was using me and another parent to toss balls, keep score and shag balls during the drills. Yesterday I didn't get a chance to eat dinner until almost 11 PM.

Besides I needed to be at this camp to finish my duties as a middle school volleyball coach. The high school assistant varsity and JV coach and the new freshman coach were hanging out watching the players at the camp. Both of them were just getting a look at many of the girls that are going to be trying out for their teams in the next two months. So I had a golden opportunity to chat up my eighth grade players to them. In the end, one of my eighth grade players got invited to start showing up to the summer weight training sessions next week because the coach thinks she might have some potential to make the junior varsity team as a freshman.

I would love to take some credit for this but in reality, she had become a great player on her own, she had a great camp and really didn't need me there talking her up to the coaches at all.

Now I'm leaving for Yuba City in about half an hour for the California State Bowling Tournament. This will be my eighth or ninth year of bowling state. Or as my doubles partner calls it - a chance to go golfing out of town.

So have a great weekend. I'll be spraying balls around a couple out of town golf courses and cursing the lane conditions in a couple out of town bowling alleys until sometime late sunday night. Then it's back to work again on monday morning.

No comments: