Sunday, February 07, 2010

Top 20 Movies of all time

According to boxofficemojo.com the top 20 movies of all time - based on total dollars of ticket sales - adjusted for inflation are:

Rank Title
1 Gone with the Wind
2 Star Wars
3 The Sound of Music
4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
5 The Ten Commandments
6 Titanic
7 Jaws
8 Doctor Zhivago
9 The Exorcist
10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
11 101 Dalmatians
12 The Empire Strikes Back
13 Ben-Hur
14 Return of the Jedi
15 The Sting
16 Raiders of the Lost Ark
17 Jurassic Park
18 The Graduate
19 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
20 Fantasia


With the exception of Titanic, which I have never seen, (even though we own the DVD) I have seen every one of these movies in a theater. Most of them more than once. If you count home viewings on TV or video I have watched almost all of these films several different times. Excepting Titanic, I think I have only seen The Graduate twice - once at a theater in college and once on TV when I was home sick one week. With the exception of the Exorcist and the Graduate I have all of these movies on tape or DVD.

If you are wondering where Avatar is on this list - No. 21. I haven't seen it either. So it's probably my fault that it isn't in the top 20. I've already seen Dances with Wolves several times I don't want to watch it again with blue natives.

No comments: