Friday, July 28, 2006

2730 Miles

We just got home from our "vacation". We put 2730 miles on the old Dodge Grand Caravan.

We didn't get out of Cheyenne until about 6 PM last night. I was hoping for 4 PM. So much for the best laid plans. Several friends who I had not seen in several years showed up for Mom's Memorial. I just couldn't bring myself to walk out and leave without visiting as much as possible.

We spent last night in Provo UT. We got into the motel around 2 AM this morning, about an hour later than I thought we would. I tired to take the 40/189 cuttoff through Provo Canyon in order to avoid driving through Salt Lake City. But 25 miles after leaving interstate 80 I was driving away from Heber City and came across a large electronic sign that told me that highway 189 was closed from 10 PM to 6 AM and to take Interstate 80. It sure would have been nice if they had told me that 20 miles earlier.

So I had to turn around and backtrack all the way back to I80. Then drive down through Salt Lake City to get to Provo. On the way back to I80 I almost hit 2 deer. One I missed by less than 10 feet. I saw 4 others just standing on the side of the road. Weird, I didn't see a single deer on the way through there the first time. But on the way back through it was like they were sprouting up out of the pavement.

We slept in this morning and didn't get out of Provo until almost 11 AM. I needed the sleep because today's drive was going to be almost 11 hours.

We rolled into the driveway about 9:30 PM PDT. Almost 11.5 hours after we left. We made a dinner stop in Barstow that killed almost 45 minutes. It was a long hot drive today.

It's good to be home. We got the car unloaded, and the kids into bed and I'm heading there soon. I'll post some of my vacation stuff over the next couple days.

No comments: