Saturday, July 01, 2006

Getting Back to Normal

My main goal for this last week was to try and get back to some semblance of normalcy in my life. So of course I have spent the week changing things.

To start off they finally moved my e-mail computer over to the building where I do most of my work. This has been long overdue. I have been running back and forth across the parking lot several times a day in order to check my e-mail or look things up online. I do most of my work on computers that are not connected to the internet. So it is nice to be able to get my internet connection work done just by swinging my chair around to the other side of my cubical.

On Tuesday I got the chance to play golf with my teammates for the first time in three weeks. I was pretty nervous about this. The last round I played was my worst intramural round of golf in 2 years. Tuesday night I managed to shake that off and played my best round of the year – so far – I hope. I shot a 2 under net par 46. I trialed most of the match and managed to finally get a one up lead with one hole to play. I only had to tie my opponent on the last hole to win my match. Unfortunately I had to give my opponent a stroke on that hole. I nailed a great tee shot with my 5 wood, out driving both my opponents who were swinging drivers. But I followed up that good shot with 3 absolutely lousy shots. I ended up double bogeying the hole, losing it and tying my match. But I’m not too upset. I golfed well and I’ll never complain about that.

Back at work I made some good progress on my programming job. I managed to get the algorithms I needed worked out and tested. Then I started implementing them. I still have some tough problems to solve and I want to have them done before we leave on vacation in two weeks. I think I can manage that.

My health isn’t back to normal yet. I still have some congestion in my lungs. I thought about going to the doctor, but it takes a week or longer to get in to see my regular doctor. I could have gone to urgent care, but the last two times I went there for a cough and congestion like I’m experiencing now they sent me home telling me that I wasn’t sick enough yet and to come back later when I had actually coughed up a lung.

All in all it was a pretty good week and I think I'm getting back to some level of normal. Or at least as normal as my life ever gets.

No comments: