Thursday, November 10, 2005

United States Marines

Happy 230th Birthday to the United States Marines.

230 years of projecting the might of the United States abroad, protecting our interests overseas, defending our freedom wherever and whenever it is threatened. 230 years of defending every American citizen - rich, poor, conservative, liberal, promilitary, peaceniks, mainstream and radicals. They truely are the best of what makes this country great.

Tuesday the family and I were watching NCIS on television. At the end of the show they wished the Marine Corps a happy birthday and showed the words Semper Fi and the Marine Corp Logo on the screen. My oldest daughter turned to my dear wife and I and asked what does that mean?

I immediately answered "always faithful." Actually I think I may have said eternally faithful. But she got the idea. My daughter said "Oh, Cool." and turned back to the TV. My dear wife looked at me with a shocked look on her face and asked "Are you sure?"

When I assured her that I was positive that Semper Fi was short for Semper Fidelis and that it stood for 'Always Faithful'. She blushed and giggled and whispered to me "I always thought it meant 'F**k Off!" She then added "I always thought that was a pretty gutsy motto for a branch of the U.S. Military."

We both agreed that we like 'Always Faithful', but based on attitudes of several Marines we have known through the years her original assumption might have been a pretty good one also.

So Happy Birthday to the United States Marines.

Semper Fi!

No comments: