Thursday, March 17, 2005

First Volleyball Game

Well my team of 10 to 12 year old girls played their first volleyball game this evening. I was worried. During our one and only practice they were struggling. Serves were not clearing the net and their passing was almost nonexistant.

According to league rules if a beginning player is struggling serving from the back line they may serve from a closer line. I pointed out my four new players who during our one practice (last monday) were incapable of getting the ball to the net from the backline. The referee allowed them to serve from the forward line. Which balanced well with the four players from the other team who would also be serving from the forward line.

Well these four girls really made me look bad. They were awsome serving from the forward line. Especially since the other teams weaker players didn't get any of their serves over. Instead of just barely getting their serves over the net my girls were pounding them into the back row.

After we handily won the first two games of the best of three match the ref made me move all four back to the endline and made them serve from there for the third (practice) match. I got some small bit of redemption when they failed all their serve attempts from there. So next Monday I have to figure out how to get them to serve the same way they did from the forward line, only doing it from the back line. There is only a 3 foot difference in the lines and during the game their serves were all clearing the net by more than 3 feet.

But at least they have the potential. I'm not sure who was the most excited, me or the girls. They were thrilled with winning. I was thrilled to see a team of eight girls who are all excited about improving their volleyball skills.

No comments: