Friday, April 01, 2005

I'm a Baaad Daddy

Today is April Fools Day. Our morning was filled with little kids say "There's a spider on your back" Then shouting "April Fools." You know, the kinds of jokes that greatly amuse kids.

This week is also Easter Break so our kids are out of school all week. Since my dear wife and I still have to work, the kids have been spending thier days at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

All week the kids have been begging us to take them to see the movie Robots. My dear wife and I had decided early in the week that I would take this afternoon off and take them to the movies. But we didn't tell them.

This morning I drove the kids out to Grandma and Grandpa's. After getting them into the house I kissed them good-bye and said I'll be back to get you at noon so we can go see the movie - Robots.

The twins immediately started their "We Won the Superbowl" celebration. They were dancing around and cheering loudly when I steped to the door, turned and said "April Fools" and walked out the door.

It was really quiet in that house when I walked away.

Jump ahead to noon. I pull into my in-laws driveway. The kids greet me with guarded optimism. We make our goodbyes and climb into the car. As we drove home each time I passed a street that we would normally take to go home the excitement level in the car increased.

Finally I pulled into the theater parking lot, stopped in a parking space. I think the only thing keeping the kids from bouncing off the headliner was thier seatbelts. Without turning off the car, I turned to the kids and said "I think we should all go inside and see a movie. What do you think?"

My children in unison responded "Yes" and reached for their seatbelt buckles.

I replied "April Fools", put the car into gear and drove off.

I drove about 100 feet. Pulled into an empty parking space. Unloaded my stunned children. Then we all went into the theater, bought popcorn and watched the movie - Robots.

Robots is a pretty good movie. But it will take a couple viewing to get all the site gags and jokes. The Ice Age II trailer was cute. My eight year old twins were very upset to find out that the new Star Wars movie coming out in May is going to be rated PG-13.

No comments: